Getting 500 Server Error When Trying To Access WordPress Admin Menus

After switching host locations for my wordpress blog at the weekend I found I could not access my website due to errors in various plugins. After renaming the offending plugins’ folders on the server my page was functioning again, but when I attempted to login as admin to reactivate the plugins I was greeted by a 500 error.

After Googling I discovered the following solution was to deactivate all plugins in the database to regain access to the administrative menus.

Find the active_plugins row in the wp_options table,
Change the value of the field to: a:0:{}

Using Zend session with an HTML framset

Trying to incorporate a Zend session on a page being viewed as part of a frameset caused me a headache yesterday.

I couldn’t understand how everytime I refreshed the page to try and test the session it seemed to be reset. Var_dumping the session before and after the data was getting assigned showed that everything was getting stored as expected, but each time the page loaded, the session returned NULL again. Continue reading “Using Zend session with an HTML framset”

Nesting an onclick within an onclick

When trying to place an onclick function on a link in a table cell, which is part of a row which also has an onclick event, leads to both onclick functions being called.

After looking into how to go around this issue I used

This worked perfectly, stopping the parent onclick from firing, but when it came to testing in dreaded IE I found it wasn’t supported.

So I tried changing to:

This works just as well, not only in Firefox but IE too.

Continue reading “Nesting an onclick within an onclick”

Fonts failing to render when using @font-face in IE

Venturing into @font-face territory for the first time seemed relatively painless and pleasing to the eye, that was of course until I reached the root of all evil, Internet Explorer.

My sparkly new fonts were displaying perfectly is every browser, but failing to render in IE.

After Googling I discovered font squirrel, an amazing online resource which generates the .eot file required by IE from your original font file for you. Even better it provides a zip file containing a working sample (HTML/CSS files), and the font in all the other formats used by various other browsers.